The Future Envelope 12
Conference on Building Envelopes
20-21 May 2019, NOI Techpark, Bolzano (Italy)
It’s all about performances.
New design tool and approaches, and innovative construction methods are enabling architects and engineers to conceive and develop increasingly complex and daring building envelopes. This process is rapidly reshaping our built environment, and transforming the concept of building envelope itself, which is no longer a passive and static element that only separates the indoor environment from the outdoor world. In this fast changing context, one of the major issues is the evaluation of the performances of such complex façade systems. The different functions of a complex building envelope have their respective requirements, and hence designers have to analyze and ensure the performances of overall faced system.
The aim of “Facade performances” is therefore to provide insights into the performances of these innovative building envelopes considering on four thematic areas, namely architecture, energy, comfort, and economics and management. Hence, the focus will be on the shape of the new envelopes, on their implications on the overall building energy consumption, on the comfort experienced by the occupants of these buildings, and on the financial performances and the new business models that are part of these innovative solutions. For each topic, three leading experts will be invited from research and academia, design firms, and construction companies respectively to share a wide range of experiences, ideas, and visions.
The conference organization is led by IDM South Tyrol & EURAC Research, supported by Free University of Bolzano, University of Innsbruck, and Politecnico of Milano as scientific partners, and in cooperation with the European Façade Network (EFN). This event is funded by the ITA-AUT Interreg project FACEcamp being the project final conference.
Sessions and Speakers
20th May 2019: Sessions (1) and (2)
21st May 2019: Sessions (3) and (4)
Moderator 1: Angelo Lucchini, Politecnico of Milano (IT)
- Jan Cremers, Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart (DE) “Designing Complex Membrane Building Envelopes”
- Chiara Pozzuoli, RWDI, London (UK) “The Art of Shaping the Building Envelope for a Wind- and Climate-Aware design”
- Harald Spitaler, Stahlbau Pichler, Bolzano (IT) „The design assist approach for the engineering of complex façades: general concepts and case studies“
Moderator 2: Andrea Gasparella, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (IT)
- Sabine Hoffmann, Technische Universität Kaiserslautern (DE) “How facades impact thermal comfort – a new methodology for assessment“
- Darren Woolf, Hoare Lea, London (UK) “How flow can you go?”
- Wilfried Pohl, Bartenbach GmbH, Aldrans (AT) “Visual comfort, well-being and health in daylit spaces”
Moderator 3: Martin Hauer, Bartenbach GmbH (AT)
- Christina Hopfe, Loughborough University (UK) “Addressing uncertainties in simulating and monitoring wall constructions”
- Michael Grobbauer, Fachhochschule Salzburg (AT) “Hot building skins”
- Daniel Arztmann, Schüco International KG, Bielefeld (DE) „Facade Design Strategies to Improve Urban and Interior Comfort“
- Economy and Management
Moderator 4: Roberto Lollini, Eurac Research, Bolzano (IT) [presentation]
- Paolo Rigone, UNICMI, Milano (IT) “Rationale of facade systems technologies”
- Michael Reifer, Frener & Reifer, Brixen (IT) “Development and implementation of façade system”
- Paolo Rosato, University of Trieste (IT) “Managing economic analysis of building envelope”
Stefano Avesani, Eurac Research, Bolzano (IT) FACEcamp project overview [presentation]
- Carlo Battisti, IDM South Tyrol, Bolzano (IT) email@example.com
- Francesco Babich, Eurac Research, Bolzano (IT) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enrico Sergio Mazzucchelli, Politecnico di Milano (IT) email@example.com
- Andrea Gasparella, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (IT)
- Roberto Lollini, Eurac Research, Bolzano (IT)
- Angelo Lucchini, Enrico Mazzucchelli, Politecnico di Milano (IT)
- Rainer Pfluger, Universität Innsbruck (AT)
Participation is free of charge but places are limited. Register here.
Continuous Educational Units (CEUs): Participation is valid for 8 CFP for architects, 3 CFP for engineers and 8 CFP for periti industriali.
NOI Techpark Foyer-1: FACE3 Project Works Posters Exhibition (open daily 20-21 May 2019)